Smoke Alarm Tips
Smoke alarms are very important. They must be installed and maintained properly because they play a vital role in saving lives. Having a smoke alarm can reduce the risk of fire injury.
Smoke Alarm Tips
- Install smoke alarms inside and outside each bedroom and sleeping area.
- Install alarms on every level of the home. Smoke alarms should be interconnected. When one sounds, they all sound.
- Smoke alarms should be installed 10 feet away from cooking appliance to prevent false alarms.
- Replace all smoke alarms every 10 years
- Replace batteries in all smoke alarms at least once year
(Daylight Savings Time works well for maintenance.)
- Test smoke alarms once a month
- Clean Dust from sensor openings.
Smoke and Soot
Smoke and Soot Clean-up
Smoke and Soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Norcross will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the right equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage property.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – (770) 858-5000
Summer Safety Tips
Home Fires Are Started by Grills Each Year
There is nothing like firing up the grill during the summer months! Did you know, Summertime is the season for grill fires? A backyard barbecue can become dangerous quickly if proper safety precautions aren’t considered. Your local SERVPRO of Norcross wants you to have an enjoyable and safe summer. Consider the following tips to help ensure your summer celebrations are disaster-free!
- Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors.
- The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
- Keep children and pets away from grill area.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
- When using a charcoal grill, let the coals completely cool before disposing in a metal container.
- Anyone using fireworks or standing nearby should wear protective eye-wear.
- Do not try to re-light or handle malfunctioning fireworks. Keep a bucket of water nearby to fully extinguish fireworks that don’t go off or in case of fire.
- Children should never pick up fireworks that may be left over as they may still be active.
- The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public display conducted by trained professionals.
Vandalism and graffiti on your property can be very frustrating and upsetting. It can range from relatively minor pranks to mischievous destruction of property. Simple acts of vandalism, like breaking a window, can often cause significant water and mold damage issue if not addressed in a timely manner.
SERVPRO of Norcross will act quickly to remove vandalism and graffiti from your home or commercial spaces. In addition to removing spray-painted graffiti from exterior walls, they can also clean driveways, walkways, asphalt, metals, wood, glass, plastic, and masonry. With our highly trained technicians, we can offer the following services:
- General cleaning and graffiti removal
- Brick, stone, and concrete cleaning
- Odor removal and deodorization
- Debris removal
- Water damage restoration
- Fire damage restoration
- Mold damage restoration
- Contents cleaning
Four Main Reasons on Why it is Vital to Hire a Fire Damage Service Professional
Fire Cleaning Professionals
Fires can happen any time unexpectedly. Some people are unprepared on what to do for clean up after the fire occurs; which is why it is important to hire a professional fire damage cleaning company.
The four main reasons on why it is vital to hire a fire damage service professional.
- Unforeseen damages – With the unforeseen damages in the home, it is a possibility that it is no longer safe to live in.
- Smoke and soot. – Soot can cover a lot of things in the home and it is very difficult to remove. Smoke can linger for years and many people don’t realize it’s there. There are many places that smoke can get into, such as walls or air ducts. It can make the air unhealthy to breathe in, especially for children and elderly.
- Right equipment – Hiring a cleanup service will allow the homeowners to save time and assurance that the home is well taken care of.
- Structural damage – There can be structural damage from fire, or the water used to put out the fire, which can lead to big problems in the future if it is not taken care of immediately.
Don’t delay the cleanup process, the sooner the better and the less damage repair will need to be done. If you have any questions, feel free to contact SERVPRO of Norcross. 770-585-5000
Be Prepared For Severe Weather
Severe weather can happen anytime and anywhere. Being prepared for a severe weather is critical to staying safe. Deadly weather can cause more than 8 billion in property damage. Many businesses affected by the disasters never reopen, so it is very important to be prepared.
Know Your Risk. You need to understand the type of hazardous weather that can affect where you live and work. Your shelter plan should include all types of local hazards because severe weather comes in many forms.
Take Action. You need to create communications plan for your home or business. You will need to put together an emergency kit. Also, keep your important papers and valuables in a safe place.
Be an Example. Once you have taken the action to prepare for the severe weather, share your story on social media. Your preparedness story may inspire others to do the same.
What should be in your Emergency Kit?
- Manual can opener
- Battery operated radio
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Whistle – so you can signal for help
- Dust mask
- Plastic sheeting, garbage bags, and duct tape
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Hygiene items
- Important documents – copies of insurance policies, I.D and bank account information
- Fire extinguisher
- Matches in a waterproof container
When Storms or Floods hit Norcross, SERVPRO is ready!
Tree fell on this house during a storm.
SERVPRO of Norcross specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained, and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit Norcross, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today (770) 858-5000
Collapsed Ceiling Damage
In the past few months alone, our area has been impacted by a lot of storms and heavy rain. While we do our best to be prepared for disaster, sometimes the extent of the damage is far worse than we could ever imagine. What would you do if one night you're sound asleep in your warm, cozy bed when suddenly, the ceiling collapses because it has become extremely saturated with water? That was the reality for this homeowner after a recent storm. An incident like this is absolutely devastating but SERVPRO of Norcross is here to see you through to the other side; SERVPRO is here to help!
No matter when disaster hits, SERVPRO of Norcross is here to help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every single day of the year. Rain or shine, big or small -- we are here to help make your loss "Like it never even happened." We have been serving our community for almost 15 years.
Flooding in the Peach State
Did you know that flooding is the most common natural disaster? Here in Georgia, we are no stranger to floods. The sky grows dark; the ominous clouds roll in. You see the wind tousle the branches in the trees. The lightning flashes, thunder rumbles, and the next thing you know you hear the rain hit the roof of the house. You listen to the rain get heavier and heavier. You watch the water accumulate across your property and then, what seems like a split second, the water in now intruding into your home. Take the measures to prevent additional damage to your home or office, then call SERVPRO of Norcross to properly take care of the damage that has already been done. We have a team of highly-trained professionals who have been helping our community recover from water damage from flooding! Let us help make it "Like it never even happened."
If your Norcross home or commercial building is affected by a flood, give us a call day or night! SERVPRO of Norcross is always "Here To Help"! (770) 858-5000
It Doesn't Take Long for Water to Damage Your Home or Business
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 – (770) 858-5000
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of Norcross
SERVPRO of Norcross specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.