Spring Home Maintenance Tips
Spring has arrived and it has welcomed us Georgians in a bipolar way. We are still not sure if we should keep are heaters around or put them up. It’s also that time of year to conduct some home maintenance that will help homeowners avoid big repair bills later on.
- Inspect your roof; it is your home’s first line of defense against water damage.
- Clean your gutters; it directs the rain away from your roof and home
- Clean or replace HVAC filters; a dirty filter forces your heat, ventilation, and AC system to work harder.
- Check the washing machine fill hose; sometimes a leaky hose under pressure can cause water damage in a short period of time.
- Clean your dryer vent; a clean vent will help reduce the time your dryer has to run, while a plugged vent not only wastes money but could cause a house fire.
- Replace the batteries on your smoke detectors; you never know when you will need them.
These tips may take a few days to complete, but take it one step at a time and you’ll get them done.
What you need to know before filing a claim on your home…
Filing an Insurance Claim
When a disaster hits your home, you usually panic and call your Agent or insurance company to file a claim. Sometimes that isn’t a good idea because your deductible maybe higher than the damage itself. It is best to get an estimate from a restoration company like SERVPRO of Norcross before you call to file a claim.
Here are some basic rules to follow when filing a claim:
- Check with your agent or assigned adjustor to verify you’re covered for the claim. After heavy rains and hurricanes, many homeowners think they have flood insurance. Traditional homeowners insurance does not cover water damage caused by floods. It is a separate coverage underwritten by the federal government through the National Flood Insurance Program. If you file a claim with your insurance company for something that isn’t covered, the claim itself doesn’t go away from your record.
- If you’re a consistent claimant, your rates are going to be high. It isn’t unusual for a homeowner to file up to two claims in a 10-year period, but more than one or two in a three-year time span and the insurance company will think you’re a high risk.
- Don’t submit claims for what is really a home-maintenance project. (small incidents) Also, a better maintained home get better premiums.
- Call a restoration company like SERVPRO of Duluth to provide free estimates on your damages. They will let you know if the damage is less or more than your deductible. Base on their estimates, you can decide whether or not to file a claim.
Contact your local SERVPRO of Norcross for free estimates on damages related to water, fire or mold in your home or business.
Emergency Ready Profile (ERP)
Emergency Ready Profile
Disasters and emergencies always strike without warning. Preparation is an important key for making it through any size disasters. It is best to plan ahead before any disasters strikes.
SERVPRO of Duluth offers a “free non committal” emergency program called an Emergency Ready Profile (ERP). It is a start up approach that provides critical information needed to begin mitigation and recovery services. It is designed to serve as a quick reference of important building and contact information. By signing up with SERVPRO’s Emergency Ready Profile, your business will receive the benefit of over 40 years of experience in reducing the impact of any natural or man-made disasters. We are the leader in water and fire damage response and can help you quickly get your property back in working order.
The SERVPRO® Emergency READY Profile Advantage
- A no cost assessment of your facility. This means there is no need to allocate funds, giving you a great value at no cost.
- A concise Profile Document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency. It will only take a little time to complete and will not take you away from current projects. But it will save a lot of time if ever needed.
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster. This can help minimize the amount of time your business is inactive by having an immediate plan of action.
- Establishes SERVPRO of Duluth as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider. You have a provider that is recognized as an industry leader and close by.
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin. This saves time so we can begin the work of mitigating the damage which can save you time and money.
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information. Having a quick reference of what to do, how to do it and who to call provides solutions in advance of an emergency so that during the emergency you are “Ready for whatever happens.”
Also, check out our other blog post: Be Prepared for a Severe Weather.