Recent Fire Damage Posts
SERVPRO of Norcross and Duluth Specialized in Fire Clean-up!
Call SERVPRO of Norcross and Duluth to start the process 770-858-5000. We are here to help 24/7.
Mitigation requires immediate action. The faster SERVPRO of Norcross arrives on-site to perform fire, smoke, soot cleanup and restoration, the better the results—including lower claim costs. We will be on-site to help ensure a fire damage is handled by utilizing these following services:
After a smoke or fire damage, we thoroughly clean ceilings, walls, woodwork, carpeting, and floors that are affected. The experienced professionals at SERVPRO of Norcross and Duluth will first determine the extent of damage, then use the specific equipment and cleaning products required to clean and protect the different types of surfaces found in the customer’s structure.
All of the restorable contents in affected areas will be professionally cleaned and deodorized. This includes area rugs, furniture, draperies, and upholstery. SERVPRO of Norcross and Duluth can provide wet or dry-cleaning services. All the other restorable contents will be cleaned and deodorized to preloss condition. This includes electronics, art, wood furniture, kitchen items, and much more. In addition, SERVPRO of Norcross and Duluth can provide an inventory list of all “to be claimed” items for your insured. Finally, we have a 40,000 sqft climate-controlled facility where we can store the customer’s contents while the property is being mitigated or reconstructed.
SERVPRO of Norcross and Duluth provides specialized services to get rid of offensive odors left by fire or smoke damage. We do not merely cover up lingering odors with a fragrance; we seek out the sources of the odor and remove them.
Once all damages have been cleaned or restored, our professional team will restore your home or building to preloss condition.
Call SERVPRO of Norcross and Duluth to start the process 770-858-5000. We are here to help.
Smoke Alarm Tips
Have Questions about Fires? Call Us Today – 770-858-5000
Smoke alarms are very important. They must be installed and maintained properly because they play a vital role in saving lives. Having a smoke alarm can reduce the risk of fire injury.
Smoke Alarm Tips
- Install smoke alarms inside and outside each bedroom and sleeping area.
- Install alarms on every level of the home. Smoke alarms should be interconnected. When one sounds, they all sound.
- Smoke alarms should be installed 10 feet away from cooking appliance to prevent false alarms.
- Replace all smoke alarms every 10 years.
- Replace batteries in all smoke alarms at least once year.
(Daylight Savings Time works well for maintenance.)
- Test smoke alarms once a month
- Clean Dust from sensor openings.
Have Questions about Fires? Call SERVPRO of Norcross and Duluth Today – 770-858-5000
Four Main Reasons on Why it is Vital to Hire a Fire Damage Service Professional
Have smoke or soot damage? Call SERVPRO 24/7 - 770-858-5000
Fires can happen any time unexpectedly. Some people are unprepared on what to do for clean up after the fire occurs, which is why it is important to hire a professional fire damage cleaning company.
The four main reasons on why it is vital to hire a fire damage service professional.
- Unforeseen damages – With the unforeseen damages in the home, it is a possibility that it is no longer safe to live in.
- Smoke and soot. – Soot can cover a lot of things in the home, and it is very difficult to remove. Smoke can linger for years, and many people don’t realize it’s there. There are many places that smoke can get into, such as walls or air ducts. It can make the air unhealthy to breathe in, especially for children and elderly.
- Right equipment – Hiring a cleanup service will allow the homeowners to save time and assurance that the home is well taken care of.
- Structural damage – There can be structural damage from fire, or the water used to put out the fire, which can lead to big problems in the future if it is not taken care of immediately.
Don’t delay the cleanup process, the sooner the better and the less damage repair will need to be done. If you have any questions, feel free to contact SERVPRO of Norcross and Duluth. 770-858-5000
Tips for Pet Safety before an EMERGENCY happens!
Call us 24/7 at 770-858-5000. We are here to help.
Emergencies can happen at any moment, and while we may never be able to fully prevent them, we can make sure we are prepared for an emergency and have a plan in place for our pet’s safety. For many of us our pets are our family, here at SERVPRO of Norcross and Duluth we all have our own fur babies that we love. The Red Cross provides a great resource for tips on how to keep your pets safe from potential danger.
Tips for Pet Safety
- Note where your pets like to nap or hide.
- Have an emergency plan and practice escape routes with your pet.
- Keep the phone number and address of a local animal hospital handy.
- Have an emergency bag handy with your pet’s normal food, snacks, waster, medications, and toys for comfort.
- Pet proof your home:
- Use only flameless candles.
- Removing any stovetop control knobs.
- Have a pet alert window cling as this saves rescuers time when locating your pet.
After a fire emergency, the trauma of smoke and fire damage can affect the whole family, even the pets.
Call SERVPRO of Norcross and Duluth to start the remediation process 770-858-5000. We are here to help.
Do’s and Don’ts after a fire.
Call SERVPRO of Norcross and Duluth, 770-858-5000.
What To Do After A Fire
- Call SERVPRO of Norcross and Duluth, 770-858-5000.
- Keep you hands clean.
- Don’t touch upholstery, walls or woodwork.
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don’t touch, move or clean anything until you reach our experts at SERVPRO of Norcross and Duluth.
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat, or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
Summer Safety Tips
There is nothing like firing up the grill during the summer months! Did you know, Summertime is the season for grill fires? A backyard barbecue can become dangerous quickly if proper safety precautions aren’t considered. Your local SERVPRO of Norcross and Duluth wants you to have an enjoyable and safe summer. Consider the following tips to help ensure your summer celebrations are disaster-free!
- Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors.
- The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
- Keep children and pets away from grill area.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
- When using a charcoal grill, let the coals completely cool before disposing of in a metal container.
- Anyone using fireworks or standing nearby should wear protective eyewear.
- Do not try to re-light or handle malfunctioning fireworks. Keep a bucket of water nearby to fully extinguish fireworks that don’t go off or in case of fire.
- Children should never pick up fireworks that may be leftover as they may still be active.
The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public display conducted by trained professionals
Smoke and Soot
Smoke or soot damage? Call 770-858-5000.
Smoke and Soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Norcross will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the right equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage property.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Contact SERVPRO of Norcross. 770-585-5000.
Kitchen Fire Safety!
Fire Damage? Call SERVPRO of Norcross and Duluth at 770-858-5000.
The kitchen is one of the more dangerous rooms in the house. From open flames, sharp knives, hot pots, to scalding liquid.
Here are some suggestions to consider in relation to preventing burns and/or a fire:
- Keep the gas cooktop away from open windows where wind could extinguish the cooking flames.
- Keep the handles of pots and frying pans turned inward on the kitchen range so that they cannot be knocked over by accident.
- To prevent grease fires, keep the stove clear of anything flammable, including potholders, napkins, and towels.
- Keep baking soda on hand or have a fire extinguisher for extinguishing kitchen fires.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call SERVPRO of Norcross and Duluth Today - (770) 858-5000. We are open 24/7.