Smoke Alarm Tips
Smoke alarms must be installed and maintained properly because they play a vital role in saving lives. Having the smoke alarm can reduce the risk of fire injury in half. Along with having a smoke alarm, it is best you have a fire escape plan so everyone can escape quickly and safely.
Here are a few tips you need to know!
- Install smoke alarms inside and outside each bedroom and sleeping area. Install alarms on every level of the home. Smoke alarms should be interconnected. When one sounds, they all sound.
- Smoke alarms should be installed 10 feet away from cooking appliance to prevent false alarms.
- Replace all smoke alarms every 10 years
- Replace batteries in all smoke alarms at least once year
(Daylight Savings Time works well for maintenance.)
- Test smoke alarms once a month
- Clean Dust from sensor openings.
Smoke and Soot Clean-up
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Norcross will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – (770) 858-5000
Summer Safety Tips
Home Fires Are Started by Grills Each Year
There is nothing like firing up the grill during the summer months! Did you know, July is the peak month for grill fires? A backyard barbecue can become dangerous quickly if proper safety precautions aren’t considered. Your local SERVPRO of Norcross wants you to have an enjoyable and safe summer. Consider the following tips to help ensure your summer celebrations are disaster-free!
- Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors.
- The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
- Keep children and pets away from grill area.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
- When using a charcoal grill, let the coals completely cool before disposing in a metal container.
- Anyone using fireworks or standing nearby should wear protective eyewear.
- Do not try to re-light or handle malfunctioning fireworks. Keep a bucket of water nearby to fully extinguish fireworks that don’t go off or in case of fire.
- Children should never pick up fireworks that may be left over as they may still be active.
- The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public display conducted by trained professionals.
Reasons why it is Vital to Hire a Fire Damage Servicing Professional
Fire Damage Servicing Professional
Fires can happen unexpectedly at any time. Some people are unprepared on what to do for the clean up after the fire occurs; which is why it is vital to hire fire damage servicing company to help get it done correctly.
There are four main reasons on why it is vital to hire a fire damage service professional.
- Unforeseen damages – With the unforeseen damages in the home, it is a possibility that it is no longer safe to live in.
- Smoke and soot. – Soot can cover a lot of things in the home and it is very difficult to remove. Smoke has a bad tendency to linger for years and many people don’t realize it’s there. There are many places that smoke can get into besides the obvious like the carpet and furniture. It can be in the walls or air ducts. This sometimes makes the air in the home unhealthy to breathe, especially for children and elderly.
- Right equipment – Many people may try to clean the damages themselves but don’t have the right equipment to do so. Hiring a cleanup service will allow the homeowners to save time and assurance that the home is well taken care of.
- Structural damage – There can be structural damage from fire or the water used to put out the fire. It can lead to big problems in the future if it is not taken care of immediately.
Don’t delay the cleanup process, the sooner the cleanup gets started, the less damage repair will need to be done. If you have any questions, feel free to contact SERVPRO of Norcross.