Mold Cleanup in Your Home
Call SERVPRO to Remediate Mold Infestations in Your Home or Business
If your home has experienced water damage due to roof or plumbing leaks, flooding, sewage back-up, overflows from bathtub or sinks, or high humidity, mold, and mildew can develop within just twenty-four to forty-eight hours of water exposure. Worse, it continues to grow and spread until steps are taken to eliminate the source of the moisture, and the mold is properly cleaned up by professionals such as SERVPRO of Norcross.
Mold colonies or growths can begin growing on a damp surface in your home. They reproduce by spores, which are microscopic, seed-like substances which travel through the air. Molds eat organic materials, eventually destroying whatever they are growing on, then spreading to destroy organic materials nearby. Besides the damage molds can cause inside your home, they can create health effects as well.
When facing water damage, first turn off the main power in your home. If any wiring is moldy or wet, you should have an electrician check the electrical system before turning the power on again. You should not open the house to fresh air when the humidity outside is lower than inside while you wait for SERVPRO of Norcross technicians to arrive. This mistake can allow mold spores to circulate to many other areas of your home. When we arrive, industrial tools and cleaners are used to find and clean the mold, plus dry the area. For fast drying, dehumidifiers and fans are utilized for the excess moisture unless the mold is growing already, as the fans can spread the existing mold.
All wet items are removed, such as bedding, furniture, rugs, carpeting, and toys. Moldy and wet carpeting may need to be discarded. We clean and disinfect other items, and all food products that are possibly contaminated must be tossed. Any wet or contaminated porous materials such as drywall, ceiling tiles, and wood by-products are also removed. We drain walls by removing the baseboard, and drilling holes close to the floor and paneling is dried by pulling up the edge at the bottom out from the studs. We then check the interior of the wall for hidden mold.
Before our technicians even get started, we ensure the area is well ventilated, and we wear protective gear including masks, gloves, and protective gear for the eyes. If mold is present, we clean a small test patch first. The entire area affected is disinfected after the cleanup is complete.
SERVPRO of Norcross is experienced and professionally trained to take care of your mold damage in a timely and thorough fashion. Mold cleanup cannot be done with bleach, so be sure to contact us at (770) 858-5000 for mold remediation.