Do’s and Don’ts after a fire.
What To Do After A Fire
- Call SERVPRO of Norcross, 770-858-5000.
- Keep you hands clean.
- Don’t touch upholstery, walls or woodwork.
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don’t touch, move or clean anything until you reach our experts at Servrpo of Norcross.
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat, or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.